Rosalyn Eves's Reviews > Portuguese Irregular Verbs

Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith

Jun 20, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

This short series (three slim volumes) follow Professor Dr. von Igelfield, a German professor who's life's work is the well-known (in his field, that is) book on Portuguese Irregular Verbs. von Igelfield teaches at the Institute of Romantic Philology with two colleagues (it's never quite clear if these colleagues are friend are foe, given their penchant for petty academic rivalries).

I wanted to like these books more than I did--I really like the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series, but I found that von Igelfield was less endearing than Precious Ramotswe. And while I found many of von Igelfield's academic dilemmas amusing (in some ways the series is a brilliant kind of satire on academic foibles), I'm not sure how appealing these would be to non-academics.

So I'd recommend this to readers who are somewhat familiar with academic life and who enjoyed McCall Smith's other books, but I'm not sure that a wider readership would find these books as rewarding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portuguese Irregular Verbs.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kitti Rosalyn- I listened to this series on audiobook and then tried a No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and had the opposite experience that you described. Couldn't get into the latter and loved the series. I wonder if that's the difference.

Anywho, I thought it funny that our experienced were so opposite. I'll have to give McCall's others books a try.

Rosalyn Eves That is funny! Btw, there's a No. 1 Ladies Detective series that was produced by the BBC (just a few episodes), but we thought they were fairly well done (even if you didn't like the series so much).

Kitti wrote: "Rosalyn- I listened to this series on audiobook and then tried a No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and had the opposite experience that you described. Couldn't get into the latter and loved the series. ..."http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...