J-Lynn's Reviews > Impulse

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Mar 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: nyra-2009-books, young-adult-and-adolescent-lit, lgbtq-kid-and-ya-lit, alternate-format-fiction, mental-illness-kid-and-ya-lit, romance-ya-and-adolescent-lit, nyra-2011-books
Recommended for: fans of Draper's Tears of a Tiger
Read in February, 2008

This is my second Ellen Hopkins book, and there is something intoxicating about all of the problems Hopkins tackles in one book. I thought the fact that it was written entirely in poetry made it intriguing as well as a quick read—however I found it hard to follow the multiple viewpoints for a while, the poetry took away from the characters’ natural voices and I kept referring to the first couple of chapters to retrace their story.

And, like Burned, I was very disappointed in the ending. Obviously, Hopkins likes non-traditional, dare I say depressing, endings--which makes sense if you look at the characters that she writes about and the situations that they find themselves in, but I just want these teens to find a bit of lasting happiness.

I did like the fact that the last quarter of the book is set in the Nevada wilderness. It is obvious that Hopkins has a deep love for her home state and the beauty it possesses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse.