blindmouse's Reviews > The Swan Kingdom

The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott

Dec 20, 07

bookshelves: ya, z-fairytales, ya-specfic, setting-secondary-world, fantasy
Read in June, 2007

YA fantasy - based on 'The Six Swans' fairy tale. Alexandra's mother was killed in the forest by a terrifying beast, and now the king her father is marrying again, to a woman who is more than she seems - but may be less than human. She has reasons of her own for wanting Alexandra, the daughter who has always been her father's least favourite child, out of the way.

I had to buy this as soon as I realised that it was another retelling of The Six Swans. Marriott seems to have based her story on Hans Christian Anderson's version rather than the Grimms, but the elements are the same.

It was interesting and moderately well written and sort of lovely; but my principle reaction to it was to be reminded of why it's a bad idea to be published too soon. The writing's not bad, but it's green. You can tell, reading, that she's going to get better (she's in her early twenties), and that this story itself could have been better.

The most glaring instance of this is the love interest, who reads so much like an afterthought (oops! he was a prince after all!) that I would have been happy to cut him and concentrate more on the family relationships, which are the heart of the 'Six Swans' story anyway. But it's not only this. The shape of the plot and the writing itself both read like something not entirely developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swan Kingdom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Loz Loz I agree with this review. There were lots of typos and I think it deviated from the story too much.

blindmouse I don't think I noticed the typos :-)