Nikki's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Jan 29, 13

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, speculative-fiction
Read on January 29, 2013

I've been meaning to read this for, literally, years. I'm glad I finally got round to it. I was expecting something a bit more dry, I think, but actually A Canticle for Leibowitz is full of humour. There's a lot of dark themes, yes, but there's also a sort of understanding of human nature. A wry smile at our own expense.

How convincing you find it might depend on whether you believe the underlying idea: that we are more or less doomed to repeat history over and over. I don't believe that, not really, but there is something painfully true in Canticle as well. It might also depend on your relationship to religion, which is very much central to the book -- centred as it is around a monastery -- although it treats that fairly lightly in some ways, and notes the ironies that creep in. The veneration, for example, of a man for all the wrong reasons.

One part that really made me uncomfortable is in the last section, which is a lot darker. Suddenly I was forced to question what the characters stood for, whether I stood with them. (view spoiler) But that, on reflection, is no bad thing -- because despite the light touch, the wry smile, there's a lot to think about here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely I enjoyed reading this book! It is so engaging from page 1 to the last page.

Nikki Agreed! I'm sleep deprived and sick and I hung onto every word.