Sarah's Reviews > The Colour of Magic

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Jun 20, 2010

bookshelves: read-before-2010, read-in-2011, british-author, books-i-own-kindle
Read from October 09 to 10, 2011 , read count: 2

I first discovered Terry Pratchett's Discworld series when I was in my teens and I have been a massive fan of his work ever since, over the years I've read most of the series but I thought it was about time I started a re-read. Although you don't have to read the series in order I have a bit of a thing when it comes to series so I have had to start again at the beginning.

If you've never discovered the Discworld books (although that is highly unlikely lol) then I can't recommend the series enough, Terry Pratchett has a fantastic imagination and a way of writing that will have you laughing throughout the whole book. The Colour of Magic is our introduction to Discworld, a flat, circular world that rests on the back of four giant elephants who are standing on an even bigger turtle that is flying through space. Has that caught your interest? How can you resist something as brilliantly crazy as that? I would love to spend time inside Terry's mind and see where he gets his ideas from!

Here we follow the adventures of the not very successful wizard Rincewind as he tries to keep hapless tourist Twoflower safe. The pair bumble along from one mishap to the next somehow managing to avoid serious injury despite being in the most difficult circumstances. They will meet dragons & barbarians, have more than one brush with Death and are constantly trailed by a walking luggage chest with very big teeth.

There are hundreds of reviews out there for this book so I'm not going to go into much more detail, I'll just say that I love the characters, I love this world and from experience the series just gets better and better with every book. If you like fantasy and are looking for something that is quirky and fun you can't go wrong with any of these books and I would highly recommend the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour of Magic.

10/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "It's about time I started re-reading some of the older Discworld books. I'm in the mood for something fun & light hearted :-)"