Robbie's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Aug 01, 10

Recommended for: Everyone in the World
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Too start, I am very excited about the Hunger Games Series/Trilogy/Whatever right now! Why? I just spent who knows how many hours reading Catching Fire nonstop, just so I could get this review up! So anyway then, here's what I thought of the book.

Don't get me wrong this was still a great book, but in truth, I was a bit disapointed with Catching Fire compared to the Hunger Games. I really don't want to include any spoilers, but the magic of the series was left within the first arena, in the first book in my opinion. Now this doesnt make it a bad book. Suzanne Collins hasn't lost her awesomeness in the way she creates a flowing plot with never-boring characters and always something going on. It was just my own personal preference of how different actions in the book were carried out. For example, again not to include spoilers, but as we saw in the Hunger games towards the end, it led us to believe an alliance between Katniss and Peeta had been broken, and it picks up right where we left of in Catching Fire, with the often confusing and mostly emotionally charged thoughts of Katniss Everdeen. In short, I didn't like some of the decisions Katniss made. Maybe other readers feel different, but overall I still greatly enjoyed the book, just as much as the Hunger Games.

I had one more problem. Perhaps this may come as a spoiler to some, so this was your warning if you think you can easily predict outcomes.

There is a very long period of the book where we simply read on and on and on through Katniss' utterly depressing thoughts over a certain something, and I absolutely hated it. Of course, it made me get even more into the story and read on to see what happens next, but, I just got sick of the tears and the emotion and everything. Some of it's fine, but go on for chapters about it and I feel this urge to take my anger out on something :).

Otherwise, again I say, this was a wonderful book despite my own personal thoughts over it. It again keeps you hanging and there is now no way to express how much I cannot wait for the final book in the Trilogy (It is the final book, isn't it?), Mockingjay.

-Robbie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.