S.'s Reviews > If I Die in a Combat Zone: Box Me Up and Ship Me Home

If I Die in a Combat Zone by Tim O'Brien

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: 1001-list, bio-diary-memoir, read-in-2010, war
Read from June 20 to 23, 2010

This was well written, but from the heap of literature on Vietnam it didn't do anything amazing or unique. And that impression of un-outstandingness seems all the more so when compared to O'Brien's fiction on Vietnam, which IS stunning and beautiful and sad.
Still, I liked this and would recommend it to anyone particularly interested in Vietnam memoirs, or any big fan of O'Brien's.
2 Stars "It was ok."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Die in a Combat Zone.

06/20/2010 page 41

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Not a great literary work, but very interesting to see where O'Brien begins to develop themes that rise up so powerfully in later works like collection The Things They Carried. (for an insightful commentary re O'B and If I Die, look up The Mystery of Courage, by William Ian Miller; includes a chapter on O'B.)

message 2: by S. (new) - rated it 2 stars

S. Thanks, Tom. I've read "The Things They Carried" and loved it. I also really liked "In the Lake of the Woods." This one is good, but indeed doesn't seem as powerful despite being a memoir. Thanks for the tip on the Miller book.