Rose's Reviews > Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After

Singled Out by Bella DePaulo

Jun 28, 2010

Read from June 20 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy

This book is awesome. Everyone, married and single should read this. The next person who tries to pity me for being lonely is going to get slapped upside the head with this book.

People may think it's whiny for single people to be taken seriously and for people to believe singles are happy the way they are, but it's not. For every time a couple leaves you out of an evening out ("we thought you might feel left out if you were the only single person") or relegates you to the kids table or doesn't bother to get a sitter to hang out with you, you feel real pain and confusion.

This book shoes that you're not a whiny single person, you're someone who deserves to be treated with respect. It also goes over some of the financial pitfalls single people face. I really appreciated Dr. DePaulo's breakdown of statistics that are used to try and convince people that married people are happier and healthier. In reality, coupled and single people have it pretty much the same (other than with money).

It also shows some important policies that hurt singles. I experienced this myself when I had an ankle surgery. My sister could not get FMLA because siblings don't count, which is wrong. Fortunately, my sister and my roommate kept me safe and healthy.

DePaulo wishes there were less binary definitions for how family is officially defined. This is true for gay couples and single people who create their own families from groups of friends.

I urge everyone to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singled Out.

06/20/2010 page 13
4.0% "The mythology is based on fear and yearning."
show 1 hidden update…