Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥'s Reviews > Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

Mar 13, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi, enderverse, reviewed, favourites
Recommended for: fans of the Enderverse, war, and political intrigue.
Read in March, 2009

This was fascinating! As I am sure I have said in reviews for previous additions to the Ender series, I love seeing how the characters minds work. They are all so genius. This addition was a particular treat becasue the earthly war was something not previously visited in this series. So far, two books had been set in Battle School, and three had been regarding the planet Lusitania and saving the native race, the Pequeninos. I was surprised to see the characters caught in this new and exciting situation and how they handled themselves. All their skills put to the test. And I was not disappointed with their performance.

But, further exploration of the character Achilles is what I found most interesting. I never would have expected the lame bully from the streets of Rotterdam in the beginning of Ender's Shadow would grow to be such a driving force in the next installment, let alone in the world of the book. He does not have my sympathy. He is not a tragic hero. He is not a bad guy who is only half bad so you let him hang around. He is an evil sociopath. But he somehow managed to be one of the most attractive fictional sociopaths I've heard of. I half wanted him to keep Petra, just to be able to have more scenes of them trying to figure each other out. But, I knew if he did she would soon be dead. His fatal flaw. I am glad his story was left open to more possibilities. Definitely my favourite of the Shadow series so far. I look forward to reading the next volume with great anticipation.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Hegemon.