Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Ender's Shadow

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, enderverse, reviewed
Read in February, 2009

I enjoyed this almost as much as Ender's Game, except for the fact that I knew the ending, and Bean has his own strengths but he is not quite as sympathizable as Ender. Thats why Ender got the job after all.

Bean had a new and interesting story to tell. I liked seeing into his mind most of the time, his unique view of the world. But it was a little frustrating how he always tried to figure out things ahead of time, when he didnt have all the information. He is a genius, but he made a lot of false assumptions before figuring out the truth. It got tiring since those who read Ender's Game first know the truth from the beginning. But I still really felt for the little guy.

I feel sorry for him, that he didnt get the recognition from Ender that he wanted. Since OSC didnt know he was going to expand on Bean, there wasnt that much information about him in Ender's Game. I went back and skimmed it after finishing this, and all those times that Bean thought he saw some appreciation from Ender, you can go to the same spot in the story in Ender's Game and see that Ender's wasnt thinking anything. After all he had done, there was no sign that Ender ever knew that Bean held the team together during the final battles when Ender no longer could.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Shadow.

02/26/2009 page 174