Devon Hernandez's Reviews > Lady Audley's Secret

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

3719788
Jun 19, 2010

I find myself pleasantly surprised at how good this book was! I wouldn't call it a "classic" per se, on the same level as Dickens or some such novel, but Lady Audley's Secret, written in 1862, is considered a classic in the British "sensational novel" (suspense, we'd call it now) tier, as it was one of the first, and well-know in that category. I read a lot of historical fiction and this book has been made mention of many times in some of the books I've read, most notably in Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily Ashton series. Naturally, I became curious to read this; having never heard of the novel/author outside some of the books I've read, I didn't think the book was still in print (why I never googled it, I have no idea). Thankfully, after having discussed this with one of my bff's (thank you Amy!!!), as a surprise gift she located an old, old copy online for me that was a little worse for wear, and needs rebounding, but with such a beautifully embossed cover I would hate to part with it. I immensely enjoyed reading this story - it had a great plot with several twists, an antagonist that you severely dislike yet end up feeling a measure of pity for, a very likable protagonist, and a happy ending! After getting through several chapters that started slightly slowly, and the disappearance of one of the characters, you really start to get into the meat of the story and I found I could not put it down from that point on. A very well-written story for anyone who loves a good mystery and happy endings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Audley's Secret.