Laura's Reviews > Menu for Romance

Menu for Romance by Kaye Dacus

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: netgalley, 2010, romance-christian, romance-contemporary
Read from June 18 to 19, 2010

This is the second in the Brides of Bonneterre series set in Bonneterre, LA. It is not necessary to have read the first book in the series, Stand-In Groom, but I highly recommend it because it introduces the Guidry family, including Meredith, as well as the B-G company and Chef Major O'Hara.

Meredith is the oldest sister of the Guidry family. She is 34-years-old and never been on a real date. She makes a new year's resolution to find herself a husband and get over her crush on Major O'Hara. She is tired of being lonely and being overlooked by men, so she plans to let God lead her to the husband she has been praying for.
Major O'Hara may want to share his life with Meredith, but he is keeping his secrets close to his chest and not letting anyone in. He fears letting Meredith in will only scare her away, so he plans on letting her go.

I enjoy the Guidry family and those around them. They are likable characters that I would want to be friends with in real life. Unfortunately, they seem a little unbelievable. Is it really believable that Meredith has never been asked on a date in her 34 years? Maybe, but it is repeated how beautiful she is and that how men look at her. Is it believable that everyone only listens to southern gospel or jazz music? (Even in the last book, the characters only liked Sinatra music of that era) Can it be that they never ever have lustful thoughts? They barely think about kissing? That everyone they meet is a Christian and so very chaste? It became almost overwhelming how Christian these people were.

So, there is the believability factor. Then, the relationship just seemed to fizzle near the end. There was no spark, no warm fuzzy feeling, no sigh at the end. It just seemed that was it and let's move on. I wanted more. I wanted to know how Meredith and Major would be together. How would they talk things out? How would they resolve issues? Would they hold hands? Would they make goo-goo eyes at each other? Even stuffy George and Anne in the last book was more excitable than Meredith and Major.

A little disappointing, but I still enjoy the characters and the stories about the Guidry family.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Menu for Romance.