Abigail Hillinger's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Feb 26, 08

bookshelves: lite-lit

This was chick-lit in disguise. I feel dirty and tricked.

Although I probably am being harsh by giving it two stars, I don't really see too many good things about this book. The bits where Kathryn are at her house are far too dragged out. Shreve relies only on the 'feel' sensory to explain what her character is going through, rather than the 'show'. The important parts where things could have been really interesting--such as the funeral or the first Christmas without Jack--are glossed over and barely given a paragraph's mention.

The characters were predictable most times. Robert, especially, the basically flawless man who does one thing 'wrong' even though it's really not wrong at all. It's 'nobel.' I did like Mattie, though. And her line, 'but how do you ever know that you know a person?' was brilliant. I loved it. This book could have been summed up into a short story, maybe 10 pages long, and that line being the focus. It would have been stronger and more to the point.

I did enjoy Shreve's description and images. And her way of personifying objects with human emotions. She pulled that off well, which isn't an easy feat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.