Kasia S.'s Reviews > Still Life With Crows

Still Life With Crows by Douglas Preston

2087548
Dec 27, 11

Read in December, 2008

The fourth book in the series has plenty of thrills, chills and surprises but the format changes from the usual Preston/Child way of tackling this saga. The backdrop of New York City is left behind, Special Agent Pendergast takes a small "vacation" which is only a cover up for tackling yet another gruesome case, this time taking place in remote town of Medicine Creek, Kansas. Quite a change from the mysterious urban setting we see Pendergast in, his usual friends and helpers are missing as well, replaced with a local named Carrie, a girl whom no one understands, no one other than Pendergast of course, and the two opposites seem more alike than different in the strange farm setting. Always having a keen nose for finding trouble, Pendergast sticks out like a sore thumb in the sea of farmers and town folk. Dressed in expensive hand made wool suits and shoes, always in black, the tall and wonderfully proper agent gets on the nerves of the local police force, almost magically always at the right time in the right place to find clues and bodies which never stop popping up. When it appears that a madman is on the loose and the killings are extremely weird and macabre, each death more bizarre than the last, it doesn't take long for Pendergast to notice that something out of the ordinary is going on. Is the devil in flesh visiting the small sleepy town or is it indeed a work of a man, somehow untraceable and invisible. The mystery was interesting but the way it was being solved was even more fun, Douglas and Preston do an excellent job of breathing life into simple pages filled with words, making it read like a movie.

Cornfields can be creepy, somehow movies and books always use them to the maximum for adding the element of mystery and confusion, the chases and surprises always lead to the fields where prey and the predator play. This novel does is it brilliantly, people go in and some never come out...

What I love about this series, other than Pendergast who is a fantastic and mesmerizing character, is that the reader never knows if something supernatural is going on or if life in the story is really that weird and bizarre. Monsters, ghosts, demons, they are all possible here but sometimes it's the human evil that makes the deeds appear form out of this world. Best part is reading on and finding out which will take place in the novel and these are juicy and wonderful and always a delight to read. The only negative thing about this book was the length, somehow about a hundred pages before the end I was craving the conclusion and one part of the story kept going on and on, driving me crazy, but other than that I loved the book and will always think of it fondly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Crows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Thanks for "Pendergast who is a fantastic and mesmerising character" now you know where I got my pen name from lol except mines with the R in it ;p

Kasia S. Lou wrote: "Thanks for "Pendergast who is a fantastic and mesmerising character" now you know where I got my pen name from lol except mines with the R in it ;p"

No way, that's so cool! omg I love Perndergast... :)

message 3: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Kasia wrote: "Lou wrote: "Thanks for "Pendergast who is a fantastic and mesmerising character" now you know where I got my pen name from lol except mines with the R in it ;p"

No way, that's so cool! omg I love..."

It's a shame I still have most of this series in paperback waiting for a special time to break their spine. I am turning a new leaf on life and trying to in January get through those books that I have been saving for another day. The Tomb Will be the first of his to read in January.