Evy's Reviews > Bella at Midnight

F_50x66
Jun 19, 10

Recommended for: ages 9 to 13, depending on skill level
Read from June 18 to 19, 2010, read count: 2

I have read Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley before. I was younger, though, and didn't have the eye for observation as I do now. So, therefore, I didn't notice that it was being narrated by numerous people. I kept wondering why Diane Stanley kept putting each chapter in someone else's perspective and not giving a hint to the reader that she was doing so, when, all the time, she was, but I wasn't paying enough attention to realize that. So, future readers, don't make that mistake as I have.
I really never figured out why Bella at Midnight was so confusing, and I set it in the back of my mind for me to come to again. Unfortunately, it took me two years to come back to it, and when I did I totally forgot what was the problem at hand and so immediately requested it from the library. I remembered my mistake and then wanted to put it down and give it back to the library, but as soon as I started I simply couldn't do anything but finish.

The story came back to me in a flood of memories but even so I kept pressing myself to "finish this chapter, finish this chapter." I understand now that what pushed me, what motivated me to finish this 278 page book was Bella at Midnight's adventure, excitement, and love. Not really the laughing book (if any humor at all, mostly puns), but definitely a story to enjoy because of the circle of love. Bella and Julian, yes, they are in love; Bella loves her Auntie; Auntie loves her dead sister Catherine; Catherine loved her vile husband Edward; Edward loved mainly himself but you could say he loved Matilda; Matilda loved her daughter Marianne; Marianne loved her sister Alice; Alice loved her dead father; her dead father gave Alice the emerald, which showed them all who they really loved.

The book, at the end at least, showed a few things. One of which is that an unfortunate something hurt a man, who hurt an auntie, who was forced to give a knight's daughter to peasants, goodly folk but no right foster parents for a knight's daughter. And, unknowingly, that hurt the daughter. It hurt her, but then again she did not know it. And so that hurt blossomed into love. Which made a prince happy, which made a foster family happy, which made the auntie happy again, and which made a grieving, mourning girl happiest of all.

Bella at Midnight is a book to learn from. I encourage everyone (ages 9 to 13, depending on how skilled the reader is) to read this book and learn about one girl's journey, one Worthy Knight's journey, one sad girl's journey, and one dear Prince's journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bella at Midnight.