Angela's Reviews > Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time

Seize the Daylight by David Prerau

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from March 10 to July 01, 2011

I always thought DST was thought up to help the farmers -- I wasn't ever sure how that worked, but that is what I believed...how wrong I was. The farmers didn't like the idea, and fought it even when it was the patriotic thing to have DST, as Savings Time was instated to help the war effort. First WWI and then WWII -- even during Vietnam -- DST = Patriotism. The book gets a bit repetitive, as the same arguments keep coming up...even today.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seize the Daylight.

03/11/2011 page 31
11.0% "In an effort to keep clocks and watches accurate, observatory time was announced by during a gun or ringing a bell each day at a designated hour or by dropping a time ball (still done today on New Year's Eve)"
03/12/2011 page 50
18.0% "So the time I take for granted, Greenwich Mean Time was established in my great-grandmother's lifetime...out was after 1900. Wow."
03/26/2011 page 90
33.0% "Got a little bored, had to stop for awhile..."
05/23/2011 page 103
38.0% "So the war is over.does DST get to stick around or will there be a fight?"
06/30/2011 page 209
77.0% "I had no idea that it wasn't until 1984 that DST was finalized...still controversial to this day"