Christine's Reviews > Assisted Loving: True Tales of Double Dating with My Dad

Assisted Loving by Bob Morris

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: h-c-book-club
Read from June 19 to July 03, 2010

Okay, so. . . I found the first third of the book whiny and tedious. How much can one read about a guy who is annoyed by his father when really he is the one who is completely annoying? Yet strangely by the middle of the book, I found myself invested in the "characters" and interested in seeing how things turned out in their dating lives. Also, Morris begins to look at his own character more deeply to address his own inner demons that prevent him from becoming intimate with anyone. The book really takes off in the last third when Morris meets Ira and his father settles down with Doreen. I felt like I could related to Morris's relationship. Morris handles the blossoming of these two relationships in a humorous and honest manner. He begins to cite his own pitfalls as a partner in a manner that is more sincere than it was at the beginning of the book. I definitely cried a few times during the last chapters. And the final scene of the book with Morris and his father at the mother's grave is the perfect way to end this narrative. If it weren't for the beginning of the book, I would have rated this one four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assisted Loving.

06/19/2010 page 28
12.0% "Next book club read. Not thrilled with the quality."
06/23/2010 page 60
25.0% "I still can't stand it--the narrator/author is a big whiner."
06/28/2010 page 144
60.0% "A little better, but the author is really hard on poor old dad."
07/01/2010 page 188
78.0% "I like the story a little better, but I'm ready for it to be over."