Sueij's Reviews > The Infinity Gate

The Infinity Gate by Sara Douglass

1951999
Jun 19, 10

Read in June, 2010

Oh, but this was disappointing.

Sara Douglass has a whole slew of books set in this universe, some stand-alone novels and some series. I started into the universe with Book 1 of this trilogy (The Serpent Bride), but that's the 9th book in. I thought I was missing some history, so read its sequel (The Twisted Citadel) then went back and read four (so far) of the ones I'd missed. But this was just published and so I jumped back to the Darkglass Mountain books.

It still doesn't work for me. It still jumps between too many characters and too many plot lines. I think this trilogy is supposed to be Maximillian's and Ishbel's, but they were nearly non-existent in the story till the end. There are still way too many different kinds of magic in this world (which feels like the author just makes up a new one whenever she needs it). Bringing together the world of _Threshold_ with the world of the Wayfarer's Redemption books still feels forced.

And, on a more editorial note, every so often the story would come to a screeching halt for a single paragraph that would say, in essence, "Character X couldn't believe that event A and surprising revelation B had come together to create difficult dilemma C!" As a reader I can't stand that. Summaries are for book reports.

This novel wraps up its own storyline, but clearly leaves space for sequels. I'm unlikely to read them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinity Gate.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle Ms. Douglass was sufferin from terminal cancer while trying to finish this book, so as a writer who typically stretched her stories over more volumes, she had to cut this series shorter than her norm. She passed away a few months ago.