Lin's Reviews > Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse

Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Pla... by Paul Carter

Aug 23, 2010

bookshelves: owned, non-fiction
Read from August 09 to 22, 2010

I picked up this book simply because it obviously has an awesome title.

Anyway. Since I was little I read more books than any kid probably should (I would go through approximately 5 per week... hey, I do live in a country where it rains a lot you know) and I always found that reading was an excellent way to go places without, you know, actually going places. This book took me places I most definately would never want to actually go to, even if it's just because, you know, I would actually like to keep all of my limbs. The author describes insanely dangerous and dangerously insane situations, and laces a bemused kind of humour through them that found me laughing out loud several times. It's a fun read, of a life that will most likely have absolutely nothing in common with your own (and how enlightening that is!). I know jack shit about the oil trade, and this book is not designed to teach you about all its ins and outs, but it doesn't matter.

The only negative thing here is that the book didn't seem to have much of an ending. It just sort of... stopped, but didn't seem finished or rounded off. After an enjoyable time reading it, that left me feeling a little unsatisfied.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse.