Chris's Reviews > The Hobbit, or, There and Back Again

The Hobbit, or, There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

M_50x66
Feb 19, 09

Read in July, 2008

Personally I think that Tolkien is somewhat of a genius. I mean anyone who went through enough trouble to write an entire volume of history for a three book trilogy, the length of which is as long as any of the books in the installment, has got to be operating on a different mental tear. I mean the guy created entire languages for races of ancient people that he had made up the day before. I mean literally, if there ever was a father and founder of modern fantasy as we know it, weather it be Harry Potter or a digital fantasy or video game, I can safely say that Tolkien did it first and then some. However, I understand that in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the story can get a little tedious and tiresome for those not intensely involved in Tolkien's world. This should not however, be a problem in the precursor to the trilogy, the Hobbit. Here Tolkien seems to have no trouble being non specific and and seems to skip over details with ease. In fact, although still beautifully written, the Hobbit seems to have an altogether different tone. Less of a sense of urgency and more of a notion of fun and adventure. A quiet, good natured, and quite portly hobbit finally getting a chance to prove to himself and his comrades that he is something more than an excellent cook. If you are looking to get a peak at the fantasy world of Tolkien but are unsure if your ready to delve into the complex world of the Lord of the Rings, then this is the book the check out. Reading this as a boy with my father I could easily let my mind run wild in my own back woods traveling across the open country with my band of dwarves. This is a must read for any little boy who has an imagination too big for his own good. Do not pass this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit, or, There and Back Again.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike Hi Chris, I was looking through reviews for the Hobbit (one of my favorites) and came across your review. I noticed you mentioned Tolkien as father of modern fantasy. I think you'd be happy to read a book or two by William Morris. I only say this because he is also quite often described as the first writer of what we now call fantasy, publishing his most often noted works in the late 1800's. I'd particularly recommend the Wood Beyond the World, and the Well at the World's End (Vol. I & II)

Do what you will with that knowledge :)

Chris Thanks for the info I'm always open to new books, especially if it involves fantasy. I actually wrote this review I think at this point almost a year and a half ago and had to reread it myself to even remember what I had said. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll have to check Morris out when I get a chance. Also thanks for pointing out that I was somewhat wrong in a nice way haha.

Mike It's hard to be "wrong" about such a subjective topic:) Differences in opinion on subjective topics are what make discussion fun. Enjoy reading and Goodreads!