Jared Burton's Reviews > The Little Engine That Could

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: english-353
Read in June, 2010

Piper, Watty. The Little Engine that Could. New York: The Platt & Munk Co., 1954.
Genre – Fiction
The little engine that could is a classic picture book about an engine that came along and helped a broken down train after other trains refused. The train was only a moving train that had never been over the mountain but when it thought of all the girls and boys who wouldn’t get their toys and food, it was able to help. The building up of the story was when the engine came to the mountain and started chiming “I think I can, I think I can” then after it made it, the engine steamed down the hill “I knew I could, I knew I could.”
I remember personally liking this book for the illustrations. I loved the page with the toys. I think most children love trains anyway so this book will never get old. The story teaches kids to be kind, thoughtful, and to never give up. The repetition in the book helps the children memorize the book which establishes a sense of comfort and knowing when reading the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Engine That Could.