Jean's Reviews > Murder in the Marais

Murder in the Marais by Cara Black

F_50x66
Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: novel-or-story-collection, war

** spoiler alert ** I found this crime novel robust and enjoyable for about the first fifty pages. The female detective character is a stereotype (beautiful, smart, struggling business, falls into bed with bad guy who might not really be bad guy) but likable. Computer forensics stars in much of the crime-solving detail – another cliché in modern crime novels, and not that believable (the protagonist’s password guessing and queries to obscure and secret government intelligence sites produce fingerprint matches and WWII photos in less time than I need to check my online bank balance). When the book settles in to its main topic – murder of elderly Jewish woman complete with swastika “carved” in forehead - and accompanying German bad guys – now also quite elderly – it became so clichéd and unbelievable I started skimming. Massive infusions of youthful neo-Nazi punks and scenes of their random violence, none really described well, did not help the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in the Marais.