Renata's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jun 19, 2010

bookshelves: nonfiction, all-time-favorites, grownup
Recommended for: people who eat food
Read on June 01, 2010

OH MAN. I loved this book. I'm really glad I read it immediately after I read the Omnivore's Dilemma (which I also loved), because it directly engages with Omnivore, while also going beyond it. If you eat meat and don't want to read this book because you think it will attack you... try it. Foer talks about his life as an omnivore and all the pros and cons (cultural, culinary, ethical, etc.) of meat eating and agriculture ( industrial and sustainable). This book is, I think, more literary and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, but as well-researched. It isn't preachy, but it is searching. And although it deals with tricky ethical questions, it's extremely readable.... I almost want to call it a page-turner, although I'd usually save that term for a Dan Brown book or something.

If you are at all curious about the food that you eat, I'd strongly recommend reading both this and Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma, preferably this book following Omnivore. But if you only care enough to read one book, make it this one.

"Just how destructive does a culinary preference have to be before we decide to eat something else? If contributing to the suffering of billions of animals that live miserable lives and (quite often) die in horrific ways isn't motivating, what would be? If being the number one contributor to the most serious threat facing the planet (global warming) isn't enough, what is? And if you are tempted to put off these questions of conscience, to say not now, then when?"
--JSF

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.

08/21/2016 marked as: read