Lupita's Reviews > Crescendo

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Jan 08, 11

Read from January 03 to 08, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescendo.

Quotes Lupita Liked

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Patch stood over me, and a drop of rain slid from his hair, landing like ice on my collarbone. I felt it slide along my skin, disappearing beneath the neckline of my shirt. His eyes followed the raindrop, and I began to quiver on the inside.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“...five minutes from now, when everything else had dropped away and I realized the full impact of what I’d done, I’d feel my heart breaking.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I’m going to grab a cheeseburger,” I told Patch. “Want anything?”
“Nothing on the menu.”
I smiled. “Why, Patch, are you flirting with me?”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I watched him pitch the ball at a table neatly lined with six bowling pins, my stomach giving a little flutter when his T-shirt crept up in the back, revealing a stripe of skin. I knew from experience that every inch of him was hard, defined muscle. His back was smooth and perfect too, the scars from when he’d fallen once again replaced with wings—wings I, and every other human, couldn’t see.

“Five dollars says you can’t do it again,” I said, coming up behind him.

Patch looked back and grinned. “I don’t want your money, Angel.”

“Hey now, kids, let’s keep this discussion PG-rated,” Rixon said.

“All three remaining pins,” I challenged Patch.

“What kind of prize are we talking about?” he asked.

“Bloody hell,” Rixon said. “Can’t this wait until you’re alone?”

Patch gave me a secret smile, then shifted his weight back, cradling the ball into his chest. He dropped his right shoulder, brought his arm around, and sent the ball flying forward as hard as he could. There was a loud crack! and the remaining three pins scattered off the table.

“Aye, now you’re in trouble, lass,” Rixon shouted at me over the commotion caused by a pocket of onlookers, who were clapping and whistling for Patch. Patch leaned back against the booth and arched his eyebrows at me. The gesture said it all: Pay up.

“You got lucky,” I said.

“I’m about to get lucky.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I nibbled my lower lip. "If you could see into my past just by touching my back, you'd have a hard time resisting the temptation too."

"I have a hard time keeping my hands off you without that added bonus.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Everything had come into sharp focus : his smooth words, his black, glinting eyes, his broad experience with lies, seduction, women. I'd fallen in love with the devil.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“You're going to have to drive off the road and park behind thoses bushes," I instructed Vee.
Vee leaned forward, peering into the darkness. "Is that a ditch between me and the bushes ?"
"It's not very deep. Trust me, we'll clear it."
"Looks deep to me. This is a Neon we're talking about, not a Hummer.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Patch's eyes were slate black, darker than a million secrets stacked on top of each other. He dropped his gaze to the ring in his hand, turning it over slowly.

"Swear you'll never stop loving me," I whispered.

Ever so slightly, he nodded.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“You're mine, Angel," he murmured, brushing the words across my jawbone as I arched my neck higher, inviting him to kiss everywhere. "You have me forever.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I hung my fingertips on his waistband, tugging him closer.
"I love you," he murmured into my hair. "I'm happier right now than I ever remember being.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Citizen's arrest," he said. "Well, that, and Patch told me to.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Being with you never felt wrong. It's the one thing I did right. You're the one thing I did right.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“He felt warm and familiar. He felt solid and safe. I wanted to cling to his shirt, bury my face into the warm curve of his neck, and never let go.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“He's got the whole bad-boy-in-need-of-redemption thing going on, but the catch is, most bad boys don't want redemption. They like being bad. They like the power they get from striking fear and panic into the hearts of mothers everywhere”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“The only thing a boyfriend was good for was a shattered heart.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“If I missed out on some really big action, I’m going to be royally pissed off!”
tags: vee

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Patch reached for my hand and pushed my dad's ring off the tip of his finger and into my palm, curling my fingers around it. He kissed my knuckles. "I was going to give this back earlier, but it wasn't finished."

I opened my palm and held the ring up. The same heart was engraved on the underside, but now there were two names carved on either side of it: NORA and JEV.

I looked up. "Jev? That's your real name?"

"Nobody's called me that in a long time.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“He sucked some of the rain from my bottom lip, and I felt his mouth smile against mine. He swept my hair aside and kissed me just above the collarbone. He nibbled at my ear, then sank his teeth into my shoulder.
I hung my fingertips on his waistband, tugging him closer.
Patch buried his face in the curve of my shoulder, his hands flexing over my back. He gave a low groan. “I love you,” he murmured into my hair. “I’m happier right now than I ever
remember being.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Are you defending Marcie?”
He shook his head. “I don’t need to. She handled herself. You, on the other hand…”
I pointed at the door. “Out.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Don’t start. I saw Marcie climb inside your Jeep.”
“She needed a ride.”
I adopted a hands-on-hips pose. “What kind of ride?”
“Not that kind of ride,” he said slowly.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I wondered why life had to suck so hard sometimes.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“She already has a car.”
“A Ford. That’s like Toyota’s worst enemy.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I’m really starting to like all this spy work,” Vee said. “When my normal life gets boring, all I have to do is sidle up next to you.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I tended to be more a romantic than a realist, and chose blind faith over cold logic.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I needed him like I'd never needed anyone.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I love you more than I think I should.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Did I really want to stay on this road longer, knowing it was only going to end in devastation?”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I couldn't stand here, hanging on, when the very thing I held disappeared more with each passing day.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Just because I've gone and snagged myself a hot boyfriend doesn't mean I'm going to leave my bestfriend high and dry.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Any happiness, no matter how brief, seemed better than the long, simmering torture of waking up day after day, knowing I could never have him.”