Cienne Olaes's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, favorites, finished-series
Read from August 25 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I couldn’t say I did not appreciate the book. Fair enough, Collins was able to give it a graceful ending (even if my bet remained to be Gale for Katniss). I think I expected way too much for the book, that a great part of the book specifically the early chapters, left me wanting more from Collins. I was hoping the last book was more thrilling, only it was a late bloomer. I wanted to keep Finnick alive towards the end, wished it was Annie they killed instead. There were just so many insignificant inserts to the plot that most times led me to wonder non-related stuff, or had me wondering what happened to the mother? I wished Collins had considered a strong emphasis on the mother’s character and its importance. It could have supported Katniss and Prim’s role in the Mockingjay. I find Katniss here less appealing, less of a hero and very weak to be “the mockingjay”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

08/25/2010 page 137
08/26/2010 page 246
62.0% 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely I agree. SC threw so many senseless events and characters to this book in her dire attempt to build the climax. She just blew the chance to have an unforgettable series. Nice review!

Cienne Olaes thanks for appreciating K.D./Joyzi. I was actually hesitant to write a review, i figured I have wrong conclusions.

Some points that i also need to stress:

I don't get it why Collins made the important details so vague, I mean come on this is the last book... everything is expected to be crystal clear this time.

From Aaron's review, I appreciate the idea of two sides of the coin (not sure if i get it correctly): the rebels and the capitol. I see that Collins made the ending that "flipping the coin" doesn't equate to a win or lose situation... it's in fact a "lose-lose" situation where Katniss only figured out the day she's about to kill Snow. When she killed President Coin, it meant a decision to toss the "coin" away as the only solution to end the injustices. If I am right with how i analyzed it, then I hate Collins for not making me comprehend it easily (give me a break, this was supposed to be entertaining). Well, all of them remained to be victims, even towards the end. The happy ending starts with the hope for the next generation, that for me is the "graceful" part. It was a first for me to encounter a different kind of "happy ending", for that kudos to Collins.

The plot is just poorly written, probably we, so called "fans of hunger games" pressured Collins too much... creativity was there; the structure is just plain weak.

message 3: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Yes, to be fair to Collins she really tried so hard. I think that we just expected too much. Lesson learned.