Angela's Reviews > Not Without My Daughter

Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: memoirs-biography-auto-bio

I absolutely enjoyed every second of this book the first time I read it. I got very involved and attached to the plight of Ms. Mahmoody and her daughter and rooted for them to escape.

However, years after reading this book, I was in a relationship with a guy who is 50% Iranian, 50% American (citizen of both countries). He did not move to the United States until he was 18. Although his mother initially went to Iran with his father to visit family, this was in the 80s and because of the Shah and all that was going on there, they were not able to leave the country. However, his mother turned out to love Iran. They moved to the US when the kids were teenagers so that their children could go to college here in the States. I asked his mother about this book and she said there were a many elements of it that were grossly exaggerated or straight up fiction.

I re-read the book then based on her assessment. I did see some things that didn't seem to completely add up based on what my bf's mother had told me of her life there.

Still, in any country there is room for many different perspectives and types of experiences. I don't believe Ms. Mahmoody's story is completely fabricated by any means.

Just take the book for what it is---a mostly true story of an adventure of a mother and child, but don't let it prejudice you against the Muslim culture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Without My Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »