Jess's Reviews > Mistwood

Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: series, fantasy, fiction, library, wishlist, young-adult
Read from October 26 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

I have been winning recently with my choice in fantasy novels, and this one certainly did not let me down.

Filled with magic, royal court disputes, strong characters, and a mystery that I couldn't crack Mistwood is a solid YA fantasy. The writing itself was amazing. The way Cypess describes scenery and emotions simply took my breath away. It blows my mind that this is her debut novel. It's easy-to-read and not as clunky as some high fantasy can be, but it is definitely beautiful.

I didn't quite feel for the characters as much as I usually like to, but the plot of this novel made up for that. I mean, when it comes down to it, I know I won't soon forget these characters. Maybe it was that I couldn't really relate to them...but then again, I'm not part of a royal court and I don't know anything about magic. Cypess does write strong characters, like Clarisse, who is probably my favorite enigma.

Anyhow, back to the plot. Cypess used one of my favorite devices for worldbuilding. I love when the narrator knows as much as the reader going into the story. Isabel's amnesia keeps the mystery a mystery for the reader, as she slowly uncovers the truth about her past and her identity. And I have to say, I did not see any of the twists coming. I love getting so into a story that when something unexpected happens, I gasp outloud and say "Oh my god--whaaat?!" And that's what Cypess does for her readers in Mistwood.

Overall, if you're a fan of fantasy and YA, Mistwood comes highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistwood.

10/27/2011 page 71