Morgan F's Reviews > Marcelo in the Real World

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

Jul 31, 10

bookshelves: preston-public-library, young-adult, 2000s, its-a-boy, read-2010, realistic, medium-sized
Read from July 29 to 30, 2010

It's not really a three, but wasn't quite a four.

Seventeen year old Marcelo Sandoval is different. He hears music no one else can hear, his social development is stumped, and his special interests include religion, classical music, and therapy ponies. Marcelo is looking forward to a summer of working as a stable boy at Paterson, a school for kids with special needs, when his father tells him that he must get out of his comfort zone and join the "real world" or else he won't be able to go to Paterson for his senior year. The real world in this case is his father's law firm's mailroom where Marcelo will have to learn how to get along with Jasmine, his beautiful and quirky boss, complete tasks on time, and wade the truth out of all the corporate muck.

I was a tad disappointed in this book. It wasn't Marcelo. I loved him. I could read books in his voice all the time and never get sick of it. It's blunt, but honest and insightful. Marcelo was a great character, and the topic of autsim didn't deter me either. I was quite excited to see how he would survive in an average person's reality. I also liked Jasmine and Arturo, as well as Marcelo's fluctuating relationships with them. I didn't like Wendell, but I wasn't supposed to. He was the designated douche.

What I really didn't like was practically the entire middle part which consisted of the "legal thriller". There was nothing thrilling about it. It was dull, and I found the discussions, both internal and external, to be dull too. I just felt that out of all the paths that this book could have taken, why this one? I would have rather liked to see it spent more on Jasmine and Marcelo's stay in Vermont, or with the Rabbi or something. I just didn't like that part.

Marcelo was a great character though, and overall the book was a worth-while experience. I recommend it to anyone looking to get into the head of an autistic kid.

Oh, and the author's name is epic. Francisco X. Stork? Sounds like a James Bond character. I really hope it isn't a pseudonym.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marcelo in the Real World.

07/29/2010 page 64
20.0% "On its way to becoming a favorite."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jul 31, 2010 07:48PM) (new)

~Tina~ I've seen this one at my lib, I might have to check this one out.

Morgan F Do! It is good, despite my small issue with it.

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic I wish we had books like this at our library :(