Cass's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

3891953
Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: 100-must-read-books, 2007-and-earlier, 2011, books-i-own, victorian
Read in January, 2003

I have been putting off reviewing this book. It is a great book (in every sense of the word), I have nothing to add that I think hasn't already been said. Instead I shall review the movies (and I intend to do the same with the Austen novels).

Jane Eyre (Directed by Franco Zefferelli)
The Good
Charlotte Gainsbourg was a suberb Jane Eyre. I felt she completely looked the part (Her eyebrows were amazing, I could not stop looking at them). I adored her voice. It was almost French sounding, but it added the idea of this woman who did not fit anywhere.

The Bad
Entire sections of the book were left out or changed. From small lapses such as the ripping of the veil, to more signifcant scenes such as when Mr Rochester dressed up as a gypsy or the period of time that she spent with her cousins. Jane's childhood friend was morphed into a different character and her relationship with her teacher was completely changed. This was disappointing as both characters where an important part of the book.

Elle McPherson had no place in this movie. I understand this was during the period of time in which she was trying her hand at acting. I have to say she looked gorgeous getting off the horse, but the rest of the time she was on screen she seemed so wrong. Maybe this is just because I am Australian and she is so well known in our little country, perhaps the rest of the world do not really care.

The Ugly
The acting was horrible. It was clumsy and cardboard.

The movie: 2-stars (But Gainsborough gets 5-stars)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Cass Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre