Catherine's Reviews > Magic Strikes

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

*Originally read 6/17/10*

*4.5 Stars*

Well, I'm noticing a definite climb in my enjoyment of this series. I don't know if the world building is smoother or if I have just stopped questioning it. I do still wonder where all the straight humans are. Come on, Crest can't be the only one out there. In regards to stars, I'd say this one is more of a 4.5 where the first two were more of a 4 and 4.25 respectively.

I think I liked this one more because there was more action. Because I feel disconnected from the characters, too much time spent slowly investigating tends to bore me. With this one we have a lot fight scenes and a lot more time spent around her core group of friends.

Poor Derek. Kid's had a hard life, and this book doesn't make it any easier. I like the bond that you sense between him and Kate. That moment they had when Kate couldn't cry - very affecting. I don't know why I connect at moments like that but can't seem to connect to the book as a whole. I'm just odd I guess.

I liked learning more about Saiman. I find him very interesting so I liked learning more about who/what he is. I liked that the events that take place didn't change his character. He isn't the fighter that Kate is no matter what blood he has. He fears and worries and doesn't like what he has to do. I appreciated the contrast to every other life form running around that world.

I liked how much more insight we got into Kate and her past. It was a great scene when Kate was telling Jim about what her dad wanted her to grow up to be. Harsh childhood, but it's hard to blame her dad because she grew up like that for a reason. Meeting Hugh... man, I can sense some bad things on the horizon. Even though you know bad stuff is going to happen, you have to respect Kate for consciously making a choice to stay and stand up for her friends.

The fight scenes were pretty engrossing. I couldn't help but laugh after their first bout. Poor Jim was so mad that he snapped his clipboard. The part that really cracked me up though was Kate and Curran's defensive comments about their technique. I really liked the last fight. Especially because it brought about an unexpected conversation with Andrea. The ending got a little hectic, but that's not a bad thing. I'm intensely curious about the ability Kate discovered she had. What's that going to lead to?

I think Andrea and Raphael are adorable. His conversations with Kate about the different clan's mating habits was both funny and illuminating. Curran got more interesting, but he's still kind of smothering to me. I liked the playful side he showed with Kate. I do have to point out one more fabulous character. Dali. She is awesome. I cracked up when poor Jim had to admit to her deficiencies. I loved her hidden talent. Who would have thought up a talent like that? How do you even discover you have that?

Overall, good book and the series is looking up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Strikes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

new_user Great review. :)

Catherine Why thank you.

MelissaB Nice review! I just read this and was too lazy to write a review but yours said it great.

Catherine I get lazy with some of them too. Or I find them too hard to put into words and crap out on writing them. Thanks for the compliment though!

message 5: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Sep 18, 2012 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Magic Mourns(book 3.5) follows Magic Strikes. It's Andrea's and Raphael's novella. Gunmetal Magic completes their story arc but I hope they have more stories. I'm more attached to them than Kate and Curran.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) It looks like you love this series. I'll have to give these books a try. Great review, Catherine.

MelissaB Kristen wrote: "It looks like you love this series. I'll have to give these books a try. Great review, Catherine."

Kristen,

This is a great series that gets better with each book. Love Kate and Curran!

Catherine Anna wrote: "Magic Mourns(book 3.5) follows Magic Strikes. It's Andrea's and Raphael's novella. Gunmetal Magic completes their story arc but I hope they have more stories. I'm more attached to them than Kate..."

Gunmetal Magic is actually why I'm rereading all these. I wanted to catch up on the world so I could read their book and not have any questions. I've heard it's good.

Catherine Kristen wrote: "It looks like you love this series. I'll have to give these books a try. Great review, Catherine."

It took me a while to connect with the relationship and world but I enjoy it. It's even better on the reread.