Cornerofmadness's Reviews > A Living Nightmare

A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in June, 2010

This is technically in the juvenile fic for the 9-12 year old reading level, got it from the library's take away pile for a cousin in that age group but I'm incapable of passing on a book without reading it and I've read the manga, which followed this first in a series novel rather closely.

Darren Shan (it's put for as a 'true' story) is a young elementary school student who spends most of his time hanging out with his best friends, Alan, Tommy and Steve Leonard, whom everyone calls Leopard. Mostly this is Darren and Steve's story told from Darren's point of view. Darren loves soccer and spiders, not necessarily in that order. Steve loves horror legends and war flicks. While Darren has a loving family and a younger sister, Steve is being raised by a single mom.

They get tickets to the Cirque du Freak, an illicit freak show held in an abandoned theatre. Entranced by the freaks - all of whom are real - the boys manage to get themselves into true trouble with Mr. Crepsley who does an act with a deadly spider Darren naturally wants that spider but Steven believes Crepsley to be a vampire and he wants to be the same. Nothing quite goes as planned, the boys do some seriously stupid things (which are believable coming from boys their age) and things take a bad turn. Actually, a seriously bad turn. This doesn't have a happy ending to the point I'm not sure I want to read the next one (that and this is so very very much for boys, there's little to hold the interest of a female reader). It's not a bad story. It certainly shows there are consequences for our actions but I'm not entirely sure I liked it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Living Nightmare.