Catherine Mustread's Reviews > Road Fever

Road Fever by Tim Cahill

Oct 12, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, humor, road-trips, transportation, south-america, central-america, argentina, peru, chile, colombia, honduras
Recommended to Catherine by: SW Spirit Magazine article on humor writers
Read from September 18 to October 10, 2010

A somewhat schizophrenic book about automotive journalist Tim Cahill's attempt to set a Guinness time world record for longest drive south to north, driving from Tierra del Fuego Chile to the Arctic Circle (15,000 miles) in a new GM truck in 1987. Although the opposite of Paul Theroux's style of travel – which I prefer – the humor and adventure made the read worthwhile. The first half of the book is the planning, preparation and background necessary to achieve the fastest time possible. The actual drive part then goes like a flash.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Road Fever.

09/19/2010 page 29
10.0% "To keep my feet from carrying me off while reading Lost Art of Walking, this title will keep me glued to my seat while automotive journalist Cahill and a co-driver attempt to set a Guiness time record for driving from Tierra del Fuego Chile to the Arctic Circle (15,000 miles) in a new GM truck in 1987. Sounds like the opposite of Paul Theroux's style. Lots of humor."
09/29/2010 page 74
26.0% "Planning, preparation, scouting reports, security analysis, sponsors – not your standard tourist trip or thoughtful Theroux type traveler. Bit too much about adventure travel for $$, but sets the stage for this racing trip from Argentina to the Arctic Circle. Let's get on with the trip."
10/03/2010 page 140
49.0% "Finally underway – leaving Ushuaia, Argentina on 9/29/87 and headed north in their attempt to set a world driving record, goal is to get to Prudhoe Bay Alaska in 25 days or less. Cahill has written several other travel books and is founding editor of Outside magazine."

Catherine  Mustread Found a link on Wikipedia to a map of their drive:

A Google Map of Cahill's transcontinental drive in "Road Fever"