Sarai's Reviews > The Chase for the Chalice

The Chase for the Chalice by Michael P. Spradlin

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comics
Read in June, 2010

My one big gripe about this book is that even though it says it is volume 1, I felt at times as though I was reading the second in a series rather than the first. They kept referring to things that had happened previously and I assume they were supposed to be flashbacks as opposed to there actually having been a previous volume in the series, but it was a little distracting because it happened often.

Other than that, this was a fun read.

From Booklist
A lot has happened since Rachel Buchanan was caught by the police in a stolen car and offered a choice: juvie or a high school for spies in training. In this Spy Goddess book, the first in manga format, Rachel and her classmates are off to Japan to stop the dastardly Simon Blankenship from stealing yet another ancient artifact in his quest to resurrect the god Mithras. Scriptwriter Rachel Manija Brown has done a terrific job translating Spradlin’s world into comic form. Her script builds on Rachel’s story but also takes time to go over the basics of the first two Spy Goddess novels so readers unfamiliar with them can easily catch up. By making use of Japanese locales and cultural details, she adds a humorous nod to manga and anime fans, and the snappy dialogue will remind some readers of the quick pace of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. The art is not as strong as the telling, but the baby-faced characters do look at home in the manga setting. There is some mild cartoon violence, but this book will still find an audience among middle-schoolers. Grades 6-8. (School Library Journal ranks it grades 7-10.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chase for the Chalice.