Katelyn's Reviews > The Phantom Diaries

Sep 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: arc, own
Read from August 23 to 25, 2010

I grew up loving The Phantom of the Opera and have dragged my family and friends to see it on Broadway more times than I'll admit out loud, so getting the chance to read Kailin Gow's new twist on my old favorite was very exciting for me. I wasn't sure what to expect but once I opened to the first page and dug in I couldn't put it down. It had all the old romance, mystery, tension and wonder that I was hoping for and have come to expect when dealing with this classic. Gow's writing was quick, relatable and not bogged down with unnecessary details or insignificant points of reference.

Her characters were original in their owns ways but still stayed true with their classic predecessors. The phantom by far and away was of course my favorite character, but I must admit that the sweet and innocent Chase also gave him a run for his money. I couldn't blame Annette for not being able to decide between them half the time when I couldn't figure out how I could love one the one minute and the other the next. I was flitting back and forth all the time. Annette was a wonderful character to follow and her diary entries were fascinating to read. I'll admit at times I wanted her to wake up and take a look around her, she was too naive in parts, but aren't we all at some point in our lives?

But without a doubt the ending of the book took my by complete surprise, I was just blown away and not expecting anything of the sort. I was shocked long after I closed the book. I was not aware that this was a series and did not appreciate the unexpected cliffhanger, but now that I've calmed down and reigned in my dissapointment, I'm counting down until I can get my hands on the sequel to find out what happens next. I'm going to have to do more research before I pick up any book to see if it's a stand alone or intended to be a part of a series so I'm not so disappointed the next time I'm expecting a clean wrap up and instead have a bomb dropped on me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Diaries.

08/25/2010 page 76

Kailin Hi Katelyn (I love your name BTW),

Glad you enjoyed The Phantom Diaries. Yes, this is a series as all my books are planned ahead of time to be. Before I begin writing, I outline like crazy, and this usually produce a 75 to 100 pages of character background, details, plot, setting, and everything needed to write a book. Since it's so much stuff, the books get broken down into individual books (reflecting a major major break). Hence a series is developed. Sorry to have you feel it was a bomb dropped. But the next book Dark Memories will be told in a large part by Eric :)

Katelyn Thanks Kailin (love your name too :)

It was just a shock and I wanted to know what happened...I was hooked so I can't wait to read Dark Memories, and Bitter Frost is on my TBR too, they both sound fantastic!

Kailin Thank you Katelyn. Dark Memories will be out very soon. Bitter Frost and Forever Frost (Book 2) are out now! Hope you will enjoy them too :)