Victoria's Reviews > The True Story of Hansel and Gretel

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy

Aug 29, 10

bookshelves: child-narrator, fairy-tales, lit-fic, world-war-ii, book-club
Read on August 28, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I love this book. The first time I read it, I finished it in one sitting. I remember being in utter awe of the both the beauty and the horror. When it was selected for this month's book club, I was happy to re-visit it and re-reading it was just as absorbing as the first time. I am curious to see what everyone else thought of it.
I love the idea and frame of using the classic fairy tale and setting it in Poland during WWII. It really worked well. The characters - both good and bad - were likable and hateable, and all in all well constructed. The book itself read like an even more horrific Grimm fairy tale. Just as the original tales held shocking amounts of violence, this did too - and it was all the more powerful because this horrible violence all happened. Of course, not in the same exact way, but nothing mentioned was not something that hasn't been documented by history.
On a technical level, there were some rather distracting P.O.V. issues, but in the grand scheme of the novel, they were relatively minor. Murphy is a writer to watch out for!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel.