Melinda's Reviews > Haunted Ground

Haunted Ground by Erin Hart

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: manhattan-mystery-book-club, mystery, borrowed-reading, forensic
Read from June 12 to 29, 2010

Where was the focus? There are two distinct lines of investigation at the same time, but they do not much intertwine. That of the missing Mina Osbourne from 3 years prior was followed by Devaney, a law enforcement detective, and that of the red haired girl from centuries before was searched out by Cormac and Nora, archeologist and forensic pathologist. As both took place in the same town, Cormac and Nora seemed to step into and out of Devaney’s purview. On top of this duality of plot our author adds many diversions under the guise of character building and creating suspicion. These were not all bad, but should have been fleshed out and/or tied into the investigation better. The subplot of romance between Cormac and Nora was a bit skeletal as well. It seemed to be more superimposed instead of integral to the plot.

This book was slow to get going and slow to become tidy after the climax. It put me to sleep several times while reading it. (In the story’s defense, I was a bit tired.) There are sections of higher suspense, but I didn’t have much trouble putting it down. However, I did finish the book and the plot did build reasonably so I gave it two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted Ground.

06/18/2010 page 24
7.0% "Starting Chapter 4"
06/20/2010 page 34
10.0% "Chapter 5"
06/23/2010 page 88
25.0% "Book 2, Chapter 7"
06/24/2010 page 124
35.0% "Book 2, Chapter 15"
06/25/2010 page 154
44.0% "Book 3, Chapter 3"
06/28/2010 page 275
78.0% "Book 4, Chapter 4"