AH's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: first-in-series, dystopian, ghosts, zzread-july-2011, urban-fantasy, wizards
Read from July 08 to 10, 2011

I never expected to like this book.

I had read all sorts of reviews and most of them were fairly positive but to read a story about a heroine with a drug addiction problem (no pun intended) – I wasn’t sure if this book would be for me.

Unholy Ghosts is a dark, dirty, gritty, read. The world building is imaginative. Set in a world where ghosts need to be controlled by debunkers, drug lords roam freely, and magic exists, Unholy Ghosts is a compelling read.

The main character Chess (Cesaria) Putman is a debunker for the church. In this world, the church is akin to the government. Chess is a kind of a witch. She wears special magical tattoos and carries all sorts of magical paraphernalia.

Chess is very good at her job. Chess is also a drug addict, high as a kite most of the time. I found that Chess’ obsession with drugs was a little disconcerting for me. Sure, she functions well, but how effective can she be when she owes the local drug lord a lot of money. Her addictions make her a pawn of anyone that can feed her addiction. She feels no remorse; she makes no attempt to reduce her usage or detoxify. Her view of the world through the drug induced haze is very egocentric.

The drug usage acts as an entry ticket to the underworld of her city. She gains access to places that would not be open to her otherwise.

I loved the characters in this book. They were well fleshed out, with a lot of depth. I loved Terrible – an enforcer with a sense of honor.

The action scenes were spectacular. I sat at the edge of my seat and experienced the darkness, the fear, and the panic of the main character. The scene at the airport was absolutely breathtaking and scary at the same time.

I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

07/08 page 61
18.0% "So, let me get this - There is a Church, but no faith because there is Truth. Confusing, huh?" 8 comments
07/10 page 211
62.0% "Chess' view of the world through her drug haze is very egocentric: "That damn Valtrium was showing her a new side to everyone, wasn't it?""
02/16 marked as: read

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review AH! Been looking into more UF series and this sounds like something I love to read!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Rane! It's really dark but cool magic, eccentric characters and great action sequences.

Greta is Erikasbuddy GREAT REVIEW!!! That sounds very interesting! I might have to give it a whirl :)

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Greta! I hope you enjoy it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This sounds great, AH. I was turned off about the drug use, but it sounds too good to pass up.

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I too had a problem with the drugs but there is no denying this is a terrific book. Thanks for the review, it reminded me that I need to read the second book!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Danielle and Jan. I don't usually go for books about addictions - I usually find them depressing. This was well written. I found it interesting how the author made a character that could function with her addiction without feeling any need to preach or make the main character try to quit her addictions. It worked well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I picked up all three of the books when the Borders in my town was closing down.

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I've got to get myself to that sale before they close. Maybe next weekend.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It was a mixed emotions event for me. Great sales and I got lots of books for awesome sales prices, but I felt bad for the employees.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm always sad at the closing of any book store. We have to plan a trip because it involves some cross border shopping.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Well, I hope you are able to go before they close and that find lots of books!

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars