Crystal's Reviews > Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists

Click by Courtney E. Martin

Aug 07, 10

Read from June 18 to July 16, 2010

I had a very strong feminist click moment in college. I've shared it with a few people but it isn't obvious and takes a lot of explaining, so I won't really bother here. Like most of the women in this book, I've been a feminist my whole life, I just didn't really *get* it until college. That's what the click moments in this book typically describe, or at least, were meant to. I read this book because I was looking to identify with these women, but that didn't happen often. Most of these women were children of second wave feminists, some leaders of the movement, and many went to liberal women's colleges in the Northeast. Okay, so I went to Vassar, too, but at the time it wasn't a women's college and wasn't really trying to be. I never had the firm grounding in liberalism that a lot of women had growing up, since my parents aren't really intellectuals in that way. So it was difficult for me to sympathize with these women whose mothers were such powerful people in the movement or who otherwise had a firm grasp of the feminist literature, where my mother would probably be hard pressed to define what feminism means. My click moment was important to me because it helped define who I am today, but almost half of the women in this anthology never really had a click moment, they were just spoon-fed feminism since birth and grew to accept it. That was somewhat disappointing, but a lot of the articles are funny and meaningful at the same time, and I actually finished it in two days of straight reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Click.