MandyM's Reviews > Educating Caroline

Educating Caroline by Patricia Cabot

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in September, 2011, read count: 4

I'm rereading some old favourites because there aren't many new releases that appeal at the moment. Long before author Meg Cabot became a famous YA author of books like The Princess Diaries, she wrote sexy adult historical romances under the pseudonym Patricia Cabot. Educating Caroline is a hidden gem which deserves to be a lot better known than it is.

Lady Caroline Linford is an intelligent but naive society Miss who has recently become engaged to the man who saved her brother's life. But at a ball she discovers her fiance ravishing another woman and everything she believed about love and marriage is upturned. Her mother offers no sympathy and instead castigates Caroline for not making herself attractive enough to her fiance. Caroline turns to Braden Granville, the Lothario of London (whose own fiance was the other woman) for theoretical 'lessons' on love and desire.

Braden Granville is a boy from the streets made good. His business has made him wealthy and given him entree into the upper echelons of society. Now 31 he has decided to marry and affianced himself to the delectable but morally challenged Lady Jacqueline. He soon realises his fiance is cheating on him and only after his money but is reluctant to break the engagement and have to pay a large breach of contract suit. Instead he is trying to catch her red-handed with one of her paramours and prove that she is the guilty party in the breakup. It is at one of these moments that he spies Lady Caroline who has just witnessed the two guilty fiancees together.

Caroline and Granville subsequently form a business deal to help them both get what they desire but what starts out to be all about their partners soon becomes all about their own new feelings. Caroline is adorably susceptible to Granville's "lessons". When he kisses her she forgets everything and everyone around her and afterwards can't believe or even understand how he got so far. The author writes this part so well. You can really feel how amazed Caroline is by the newness and previously unimaginable passion of her responses.

There is an ongoing thread in the story where Granville notices that Caroline is becoming more and more beautiful each time he sees her. He is totally befuddled by this and can't understand how he didn't see it from the beginning. Of course we as the readers know it's because he's falling in love with her but watching his bemusement is both amusing and endearing.

The plot involving Caroline's brother and an evil underworld figure adds suspense and action to the story and it's a great vehicle for Granville to come and save the day and win the girl. The secondary characters are delightful, the servants, Tommy and Emily. Even the bad guys are well fleshed out and given some comic moments of their own. Caroline's pragmatic view of the suffrage movement is hilarious.

I love every word of this novel and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a witty and charming historical romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Educating Caroline.

Becky I adore this story. It would be a perfect re-read for this week, if only my copy weren't buried in a box in the bottom of my closet! Someday there will be bookshelves, and I'll find all my old favorites again.

MandyM I'm the same. I have bags and bags of books in my spare room cupboard. I think I'll keep them for when I retire and then slowly reread every one.

message 3: by Anyta (new) - added it

Anyta Sunday I so want to read this, but $19 for the kindle edition? Yikes. . . . still, I'm tempted. Wish I had an English library nearby.

Lovely review. :D