Cathy 's Reviews > Spin Control

Spin Control by Chris Moriarty

Jun 10, 13

bookshelves: science-fiction, ebook-owned, zz-challenge-bcc-scifi-2010, ebook-read, read-in-2010, series-reminder
Read from June 21 to 24, 2010, read count: 2

I would never have thought that a story could be spun out of a wild mix of the Arab-Israeli conflict, ants, AIs, clones, water, fertility and space exploration, plus love, loyalty, and more. It kept my interest throughout each switch in perspective or timeframe, and kept my curiosity high to see how each aspect would play out and fit together. Every scene felt vivid and real, from atmosphere or emotion, without being cumbersome or overdone.

I saw somewhere that Moriarty was contracted for a third book in this universe/series. It's been several years since this came out, but I'm still hoping that the next book will appear some day. She certainly left a good cliffhanger to peak my interest! But more than a plot idea is just my hope for another smart and interesting story.

------
June 2013

It's so interesting to re-read a complex book several years later and only remember hints of how things are going to unfold. It took me a while to get into it again this time, but once I was invested in the mystery of Novalis and what it meant for Arkady down on Earth, I was hooked again. It's very different from Spin State in tone and atmosphere, don't go in expecting the same sort of fast space-based investigation style story. But if you let this one unfold and see how the pieces start snapping together, I think you'll be pleased.

And yes, the third book has arrived, that's the reason for the re-read. I'm thrilled to finally get to see the next step in this story's evolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin Control.

06/24/2010 page 417
69.0% "She's (he's?) just a good writer. I felt like I was there as they crouched in that burned out building watching the AI-controlled patrol completely ignore them. So vivid without being showy."
06/03/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/04/2013
11.0% "I'm paying attention to the Jewish concepts a bit differently after reading her YA fantasy featuring Jewish history, culture and mysticism so prominently."
06/06/2013
17.0% "When I read it in 2010 Monsanto didn't ring the major bells it does now. Her science is always spot on. (Published in 2007.)"
06/10/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeffrey Let me know if you like it. I liked Spin State, the first one a lot.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Wow, that is certainly an interesting mix! LOL!

Jeffrey I liked the first book better personally. But this one was pretty good.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user She told me she liked the first book better too. :)