Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > The Turning

The Turning by Jenny Trout

Apr 02, 08

bookshelves: vampires, 2008, urban-fantasy
Read in April, 2008

Just in case you, like me, got this book confused with paranormal romance: it's not romance. That should hopefully dispel any expectations on that score which will only be disappointed.

Carrie is a doctor who has a bit of a breakdown when she sees the horrific injuries of a patient brought in one night. Trying to overcome her fear, she goes to the morgue to view the corpse only to have it attack her.

After spending some time in hospital herself, recovering, she struggles to return to her job. The side-effects of the attack are making her suspicious, and in the end she decides to look into the possibility that she's been turned into a vampire.

As skeptical as she is, meeting Nathan and his donor, Ziggy, force her to accept the truth: she's a vampire. And her sire, Cyrus, is not one of the "good guys". Because the blood tie between sire and fledgling, she feels a pull to Cyrus, while also feeling attracted to Nathan - and Cyrus wants her. He's lonely, and all his other fledglings have been killed by the Movement. An attempt on Nathan's life forces her to make a bargain with Cyrus: Nathan's life for her.

---------------------------

I can't quite decide how much I liked this book. There were elements of it that I really enjoyed, and other things that bugged me. The writing was generally good, though there seemed to be a few plot holes or slips, and Armintrout seems confused by the difference between a serf and a peasant. I hate coming across mistakes in books, it makes the entire story harder to believe in.

I appreciated that the characters weren't black-and-white: Cyrus wasn't evil, it's not that simple, and Nathan has a dark past. Carrie was believable, not sweet and innocent like Feehan's heroines (do romance heroines always have to be sweet? Nah), and struggled between her attraction to both men.

Not bad for a debut, not bad at all, but I'm undecided on whether I'll continue the series or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turning.