Suzy 's Reviews > Anecdotes of Destiny and Ehrengard

Anecdotes of Destiny and Ehrengard by Isak Dinesen

Jun 17, 2010

it was ok
Read from June 17 to July 09, 2010

i loved Out of Africa (not really even the same story as he movie!), so I wanted to read something else by Isak Denison. This is a collection of stories, or novelettes. I read the first one and wasnot impressed. Then I read Babette's Feast--I had of course seen the movie years ago. It was good. I just finished The Immortal Tale and liked it even better---except for the ending (non). This is rather Dickensian, and at teh same time fantastical. A very unusual story premise: A dying old rich man doesn't like stories and prophecies because they're not true, so he determines to make the one story he's ever heard--an oft repeated sailor's tale--come true by staging it. I think it is an interesting commentary on what stories mean to us--what they are for.
Unfortunately, I liked Denison's memoir of Africa far more than her tales. (I'm like the rich old man!) But I plan to try a couple more before moving on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anecdotes of Destiny and Ehrengard.