ladywallingford's Reviews > The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England

The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from June 17 to 22, 2010, read count: 1

The novel depicts the reigns of Edward IV, Richard III, and Henry Tudor (only the very beginning) as told by the Duke and Duchess of Buckingham, Henry Stafford and Katherine Woodville. I thought the novel was beautifully written and I really liked seeing the reigns through a first person narrative as opposed to a third person.

Richard III, I think, will always be one of those controversial figures in history. Did he or did he not kill his nephews (and his wife for that matter)? Was he an evil man or just misunderstood during his time? Obviously, I don't know the answers to these. I do think both sides to the story can be argued because some things just don't add up on both ends.

With that said, I have to say that I didn't like the Richard in the novel because the author portrayed him as evil Richard (I now have a picture of him with a goatee in my head!). I know, it's a bit obvious that I'm not going to like the villain. Back to the point, she portrayed him as very manipulative in gaining his ends. He took advantage of every opportunity given to him even if it involved the execution of his family, which happened not only with his nephews but with his brother the Duke of Clarence and his queen. Every time I encountered Richard in the book, I wanted to throw it at the nearest wall, especially as seen through the Duke of Buckingham, whom I found to be incredibly naive and blind until Richard told him he had his nephews killed.

The character that really sticks out in my mind ended up dying near the beginning of the novel. I didn't really much care for that but who am I to argue with history?

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I plan on trying other books by this author in the future (although probably not in the near future).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen Crown.

06/17/2010 page 1