Nina ♥'s Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites, first-in-series, ridiculously-hot-guys
Recommended for: everyone!

REVIEW: BEST. BOOK. EVER.

Really, I don't have to write a review about this one and tell you how much you'll LOVE it--if you haven't read it already--you will, trust me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Nina ♥ Liked

Suzanne Collins
“I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”

Suzanne Collins
“You’ve got about as much charm as a dead slug.”

Suzanne Collins
“It crosses my mind that Cinna's calm and normal demeanor masks a complete madman.”

Suzanne Collins
“We could do it, you know."
"What?"
"Leave the district. Run off. Live in the woods. You and I, we could make it.”

Suzanne Collins
“Rue, who when you ask her what she loves most in the world, replies, of all things, “Music.”

Suzanne Collins
“Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.”

Suzanne Collins
“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Mikaela I feel your pain. I am a massive Gale fan and when I heard about Liam H I was like... Say WHAT? That is not at ALL how I pictured him. I'm thinking of boycotting the movie- (though I know I don't have the willpower to miss it!) but at least Gale was cast better than Peeta. Josh H isn't even blond!!!! WHERE IS ALEX PETTYFER!!! I love that guy (and his abs, lol) and they went and cast THAT RANDOM?

I like Katniss though.

Anyway. Just my opinion.

Nina ♥ I didn't like any of them. :( I mean really, if not Alex, they could've at least chosen Hunter Parrish. And I really wanted Hailee Steinfeld to be Katniss. I don't even want to talk about their choice for Gale, just...ew.

I agree with you though, I don't have the willpower to not watch it when it comes out! I'm such a sucker for these books. xD

Nina ♥ *depressed* Ugh, I really hate the casting directors right now. Talk about choosing the wrong guy. *facepalm*

Oerba Yun Fang OMG You are so right. Butt. Ugly. Ruin my day.

Mikaela Ditto that.

Danielle LOL love your reaction. But I agree, the casting sucks. I guess Jennifer Lawrence could be OKAY for Katniss if she dies her hair but the guys...*shudders*

Sonia The Gale actor... oh... my... god... I wanted to punch the computer monitor when I found out! *sobs* Everything's ruined!

Fire_Dragon_ RUINED. EVERYTHING. :(

Lana Jennifer Lawrence will be good as katniss, liam will ruin gales character!

message 10: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina I don't belive who they chose for gale is that bad. But peeta? That is NOT peeta, sorry, I love Josh and all, but he's not peeta.

Nina ♥ I don't really like any of them except for Portia and Octavia (which I don't care about much). Jennifer might be good, but the others? No.

message 12: by Naru (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naru I loved your 'reactions' to the casting. LOLz. I was hestitant about Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss until I saw her in Winter's Bone... now I think she'll be great. Josh Hutcherson as Peeta... well, I'll have to see it to believe it because I've only ever seen him act in movies he was really young in. Liam for Gale? Ew. Thankfully I didn't think much of Gale. Cinna at the moment, I'm indifferent. However if he or well, anyone else doesn't act their part properly, I'll start raging like the pic of the little girl with her poodle.

message 13: by Naru (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naru **hesitant

Alanine Am I the only one who is more pissed off at the casting of Katniss? I mean, she's not even supposed to be white. But I don't get what you hate about the casting of Cinna though. I mean, it's not like his skin colour was ever mentioned in the book.

Also, the castings of Peeta and Gale really do suck. A lot. Just no.

message 15: by Nina ♥ (last edited Jun 10, 2011 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina ♥ Agreed. Peeta looks like a kid. And don't even get me started on Gale/Liam. Just...ugh.
Oh and it's not Lenny Kravitz's skin color I don't like, he's just not right, just like Liam...and Jennifer...and Josh. The others are okay.

Nina ♥ Thank you. :) As am I! I only like their choice for P. Snow, Claudius, and Portia. Flavius isn't too bad either. I can see that guy playing him.

Kimberly hahahahahahah i really like their choice for katniss and peeta, i think that will work out amazing ! buut gale NOT SO MUCH i agree

Kelli I think Jennifer will be great for Katniss. If you've seen Winter's Bone then I think you'll agree.

message 19: by mEg (last edited Jul 01, 2011 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg I think Peeta and Katniss are good. But the picture you chose for the actor of Peeta is bad. He is like 12 in that pic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/f... Gale is UGH!!!! And, just look at Prim on this site. NOT how I pictured her.

message 20: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella At first, I didn't think Jennifer would be perfect for Katniss but now, I do. As for the roles of Peeta and Gale, I am very, very disappointed. I don't like the fact that Josh Hutcherson is playing the role of Peeta. I mean, isn't Peeta supposed to be blonde? I personally think that Josh should play Gale and Liam would be perfect for Peeta!

Anniee NOOO! Now my imagination is gone :(

message 22: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg Ella wrote: "At first, I didn't think Jennifer would be perfect for Katniss but now, I do. As for the roles of Peeta and Gale, I am very, very disappointed. I don't like the fact that Josh Hutcherson is playing..."

I think he's gonna dye his hair. I mean, Jennifer did for Katniss.

Shannon slightly disappointed

message 24: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg About what?

Shannon With some of the casting :/

message 26: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg Who? I am VERY disappointed with Prim. She was one of my favorites!

Peeta or Gale????

Shannon mEg wrote: "Who? I am VERY disappointed with Prim. She was one of my favorites!

Peeta or Gale????"

Some of the casting is alright, but I'm disappointed with Gale and Peeta a bit. I can't really say much untill I see them in the trailer and some photos, but for now I'm not so enthusiastic about the casting.
What about you, besides Prim?

message 28: by Yuu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuu They ruined my visions of Gale and Peeta and Cinna,too.They're just not right:(And your review is awesome,I laughed really hard when I saw your reactions.

message 29: by mEg (last edited Jul 16, 2011 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg Shannon wrote: "mEg wrote: "Who? I am VERY disappointed with Prim. She was one of my favorites!

Peeta or Gale????"

ummm.... I don't really know. I think it's gonna be great!

message 30: by Kiri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiri Haha. I really like your reactions! ;)

message 31: by Fatima (new)

Fatima Ugh not cinna not not thats NOT him

message 32: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg I know, that's what I thought. But I'm pretty sure they will give him a Cinna makeover.

Rachel not liking the choice for Peeta :/ I liked my image of him better haha And the actor for Cato looks like a little kid - he is supposed to be "huge and hulking" ... come on.

message 34: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg A lot of these pictures are from when they were kids, so keep in mind that that picture of him might be from a couple of years ago. I'm just excited to see the movie regardless.

message 35: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg Rachel wrote: "not liking the choice for Peeta :/ I liked my image of him better haha And the actor for Cato looks like a little kid - he is supposed to be "huge and hulking" ... come on."

Look up "Alexander Ludwig 2011" and you will see what he looks like now.

Rachel mEg wrote: "Rachel wrote: "not liking the choice for Peeta :/ I liked my image of him better haha And the actor for Cato looks like a little kid - he is supposed to be "huge and hulking" ... come on."

Look u..."

Ya, I have seen him recently. Still doesn't have that "hulking" build, looks more lanky. But they may be able to work with him.

message 37: by Cayla (Adventure Reads) (last edited Aug 13, 2011 01:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cayla (Adventure Reads) If I author of this book I would've cancel the thing!first this is G-A-L-E. I Imagines Gale with dark curly hair ,gray shiny eyes,musclear body,tanned mexicano skin,and very handsome. Liam as Gale doesn't fit :/ if he was Peeta than it'll be a little better.next is C-A-T-O. No no no no no. I picture cato to be t anned musclear and buff plus the guy playing cato does not fit the role. Next is Cinna I thought he was going to be more flamboyant and gay like and the guy playing him doesn't fit anyways next is katniss. I imagined her more of like victiria justice. But she alright next is rue. I imagined her to be more darker but whatever. Where's the Avox girl?

message 38: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg I'm sure they will get a whole makeover done on them. They wouldn't just put Cinna out there like that. Also, a lot of these pictures are not recent.

P.S. To everyone! Read her Update at the top! And you will see a link to all the characters. Well, most anyway.

Kelli @Cayla -- thats what makeup artists are for! and the costumes...it will definitely add to the character's appearance. what we should be worried about is the acting. and here's some pics of gale and peeta if you haven't seen them already: http://www.ology.com/screen/hunger-ga... i think they look better now for their parts!
and there's tons of hunger games info on this site: http://hungergamesmovie.org/ i hadn't looked at it in a while and they posted tons of new stuff

message 40: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg I think everyone should just watch the movie and see how it is.

Nina ♥ Amen to that! You know, the cast are starting to grow on me...maybe they'll do it brilliantly. Their acting skills is all that matters.

Kelli same with me!! at first I didn't agree with Josh Hutcherson as Peeta...but he kinda has that sweet look goin on when he smiles that fits his personality. and I still think Jennifer will be great as Katniss. and some of the other actors look promising. you just have to get over the fact that they might not look like what you pictured in your mind.

Ai Haibara Josh sort of fits the role of Peeta but his face is too big and Liam looks way too old for Gale

message 44: by mEg (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg OMG! This Sunday WATCH THE VMAs! They are going to show a sneak peek of the Hunger games movie!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Nina ♥ I know! I can't wait!

Adrienne Marie Love Petta's pictures. I know everyone is upset that his hair is dark; however, the actor is so hot!! Hope he can pull it off :)

message 47: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Honestly? Lenny Kravitz??? No no no!!

message 48: by mEg (last edited Sep 08, 2011 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mEg C'mon people! I'm sure that they will make Lenny look like Cinna. We should just stop judging it and WATCH THE DANG MOVIE! They choose these people because they thought they would be perfect for the role. I'm just excited for the movie regardless.

Katherine Hmmm - yeah can't imagine Lenny Kravitz in that role - the choice for Gale was so wrong...

message 50: by Joey (new)

Joey Cheeser Have you read The Hunger Games? If not, now’s your chance! Check out chapters 1 & 2… And if you have, make sure to answer the Fan Club question! https://bitly.com/qTSvBM

« previous 1