Lindsay's Reviews > Nightshade

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: cover-lust, books-i-own, never-finished
Read from June 15 to 16, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

So everyone is probably going to hate me for writing this review but this is my honest to god opinion. I really wanted to like Nightshade. I waited so long to read this and I was dying to read it too! I heard nothing but great things about this series but I really wanted the book in paperback to save money. And the week the paperback came out, I immediately bought it!

And well...I hated it. Okay no, hate is a strong word. I didn't hate this book. In fact, the beginning of this book started off strong and had me completely reeled in. But after awhile, I lost complete interest.

First off, Calla just...I don't know how to explain it but I didn't like her. I felt like Cremer was trying too hard to make her sound like a teenager and it didn't come off right on paper. Its like she was a mixture of too many things all at once. She was too fake in my opinion.

Second, there's Ren. Yes, I said it. I don't like Ren. I'll say it again. I. Don't. Like. Ren. Honestly, I found nothing attractive about him at all. Again, I felt as if Cremer tried too hard with his character. Ren was too dominating, too sarcastic, too...much. I didn't like the way he treated Calla at all either. He seemed all over he place. Overbearing at one moment, caring the next. And I didn't like the fact that they were so eager to just get together and mate so quickly.

All of the characters just seemed really poorly written. I couldn't connect to anyone except for one character. Shay. Yeah yeah I know I'm getting some wtf faces right now. But hey, that's just me. Personally, I could relate to Shay. From what I read, he loved literature and yet he had a natural curiousity for things that didn't seem right. I wanted more of him and it confused me why no one else felt the same minus three other people. But as much as I liked Shay, I couldn't finish this book, not even for him.

Now, the biggest problem I had with this book is the plot. I had no idea what was going on! A hundred pages in, I still had no idea what was going on. Nothing had been explained or cleared up and this annoyed me. I mean, a little mystery is good but you can't leave the reader still guessing so far in the book. I lost all interest because not one thing was clear and I don't want to read a book that I can't understand.

Overall, I really didn't like this book. There were so many problems I had with this book and there's no way I'm going to be able to finish this. Too many things left unclear and too many inconsistencies made me unhappy. I'm sad to say that I only fell in love with this book because of its cover. :( Will I ever read another book by Cremer? Probably not.

Rating: 1 out of 5 Stars

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Queen Taco I'm so glad you don't like Ren. So many people who've read this love him. Shay is much better, my favorite character by far.

HeatherJay Totally agree! Shay was the only remotely interesting person. I couldn't understand why everbody swooned over Ren.

Queen Taco Ren is a complete asshole to me, I can't stand him. Though unlike Lindsay, I'll be finishing the series. I've got Bloodrose on hold at the library, hopefully it'll be okay.

Lindsay @Queen I'm glad you agree! Ren is so annoying and Shay is my doll :D I just wish I could have enjoyed the series more...I hope you enjoy Bloodrose!

@Heatherjay Ditto. Shay is so interesting and Ren...ugh. He is not sexy. At all. :p

Dawn You're smart to quit after 1!! I didn't love Ren or Shay in the first book. Wolfsbane made me more of a fan of Ren's though. I know how Bloodrose ends and no way on gods green earth will I torture myself reading it!

Lindsay @Dawn Lol, I actually know the ending of Bloodrose too cause someone told me :p I find it hard to believe for Ren to make an impression on anyone but hey, to each her own :)

Dawn It is funny how everyone sees different characters in other ways! I actually hated Shay by the end of Wolfsbane. Kind of like Vampire Academy, it seems like it was a pretty good split (although I do think Dimitri had a slight lead over Adrian) on our lady hearts :) To me this is the total downside to love triangles. Chances are you'll fall in love with the guy left out in the cold every now and then.

Lindsay I guess that's true sometimes. :) But I've only gone for the other guy in like two other books lol and I loved Vampire Academy! I actually loved both guys and it was hard to choose but Rose and Dimitri belong to each other. And I'm happy Adrian's getting a chance.

Berenice I think make a good point, I also didn't like Ren and I dont feel he pulls his weight for a good love triangle. And well one we can't like them all, thank you putting an honest review out there, but specially for being respectful about it :)

Lindsay Well Berenice, I'm glad you can appreciate my honesty :) & I hope you enjoyed the series. Ren just wasn't very attractive...anyways, have you read all the books? And did you like them?

message 11: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em I agree with Ren. I was totally Team Ren at the beginning, but as the story went on, I liked him less and less because I have problems with possessive, aggressive, jealous guys. He overdid it. It made me sad, because I really liked him at first and hated Shay, but by the end it was the other way around. My opinions on the characters flip-flopped, and that's just odd.

Lindsay Yeah, I usually hate when that happens depending on how much I like the writer and their writing style. Are you going to read the prequel series?

message 13: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em There's a prequel series?? I don't even know if I will read the sequel.

Lindsay Lol, well I don't blame you. This series doesn't impress. Yes there's a prequel series unfortunately and I'll be avoiding that as well. Good to know someone can agree with me

message 15: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em well, I liked the book, but I just don't know if i'd want to spend time on a series.

Lindsay I get you. Plenty of other series that make me feel the same way.

message 17: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em It was just SO LONG. I liked it, but I was getting impatient toward the end. Plus, a lot of the aspects I liked were the pack dynamics/drama, and in the sequel I have a feeling that the narrator isn't going to be around the pack a lot.. Correct me if I'm wrong, if you already read the sequel, but that's just how I see things going.

Lindsay I haven't read the sequel and I don't think I ever will. I felt the same way! I felt like I didn't get the right info right away and as a result the book was too long. Its funny how we can rant about a series so much.

Cindy Chung I don't hate you, because I totally loved this book. But, your review was strong. It expressed your opinion, and I won't try to hang you. Good job!

Lindsay Thank you so much Cindy I appreciate it! And you know what? I'm glad you were able to enjoy this more than I did.

Cindy Chung :)I hope you find books that you like out there! Good Luck!

message 22: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb I mildly liked it. The world building, at least. But not enough to want to read the next one.

Lindsay Plus it seems like this series is never ending. There's a prequel series as well as a fourth book.

message 24: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb I'm reminded of a song my mom used to sing: "This is the song story that never ends; it just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing reading it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing reading it forever just because . . . "