Patricia's Reviews > The Power of One

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read from June 17 to July 01, 2010

A friend, who is an avid reader, recommended this book several years back, and I just got around to reading it. Actually, I bought the book and then someone loaned me an unabridged audio version, so I listened to it. It was a captivating story and the reader was excellent.

Bryce Courtenay knows how to create colorful, idiosyncratic, lovable characters. Peekay, the narrator, has one adventure after another with these amazing people. What I liked most about this book was the fact that the "good guy" ultimately wins. I'm a sentimentalist at heart and need good things to happen to good people, so despite Peekay's frequent setbacks and challenges I came to rely on the fact that he would get out of every scrape just like the main character on a TV series. It was truly a feel good book with wonderful momentum. The last segment in the mines was a somewhat abbreviate relative to the childhood scenes as if the writer decided he needed to bring this thing to a close-- more summary and less scene building than in the early part of the book--but nevertheless quite interesting and colorful. I'd have to say this book was a great summer read. Thanks Rhonda for the recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of One.