Mare S's Reviews > Web of Lies

Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep

Sep 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, fantasy-scifi
Read from September 10 to 18, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I loved that this book gets right into the action for the most part, mixing in a little bit of back story from the previous book, but in an almost casual way. Again, what kept me reading wasn't so much the driving plot point of the book, but the overall mystery of Gin's past and Gin herself. She's a very cool character - tough, smart (though sometimes not nearly as clever as she thinks, which she usually realizes too late), and broken.

Things I liked:

1) The overall arc of the books picking up a bit more and getting more of an idea of what's going on. I also really liked that it wasn't this easy fix for Gin. It wasn't necessarily good news that she had to rush out and embrace. I think she had to work out her past with her new family.

2) I love getting more glimpses of her relationship with Fletcher and I adore her relationship with Finnegan. It's not romantic at all and it frees her up.

3) I like the new character, Owen. I think he could end up being very interesting.

4) Thank God, Detective Caine is leaving town. I never really bought into the relationship between them in the first book and this book just makes you want to punch him in the face. Former assassin or no, she deserved better than the way he treated her.

Things I didn't Like:

1) Detective Caine and her relationship with him. Especially in this book, it seemed so forced. Like he was thrown in because of the possibility of romance. Was there really a reason for him to even be at the Fox's place except for Gin to interact with him?

Thing I'm Not Sure About:

1) I'm not sure what I think of Gin and her new great powers. I could handle it as something she used in a time of necessity - like an adrenaline rush for elementals - but part of why I like her is that she is kick butt without relying on her magic. Hopefully, that won't change.

Overall: I can't wait to see where the next book goes. I wanted to have it in my hands immediately. And I hope the author really utilizes Owen and the potential relationship with Gin. They are so much more interesting than Detective Caine was with her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Web of Lies.

06/17/2010 page 29