UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Thunder & Roses

Thunder & Roses by Mary Jo Putney

Thunder and Roses is the first book in the Fallen Angels series, and was my first full length read by author Mary Jo Putney.

Those of us who are fans of historical romance know that over the past decade, the genre has been flooded with so many books that it’s hard to find anything unique, and in fact, there are many times you can predict exactly which naive but curious little chit will be ruined by what scandalous event that will take place at precisely the stroke of midnight – or shortly thereafter because the rake/rogue/libertine is almost always late. Well, you get the idea. Fortunately, while there was some predictability to Thunder and Roses, Ms. Putney also gave us plenty of unique events and characters so that I found this story fresh and out of the ordinary. Skinny dipping with penguins in an English estate pond in the springtime? You’re not going to find that in many historical romance novels.

This story begins when Clare, a Methodist school teacher from the village, comes to Nicholas and asks for help improving the dismal lives of his tenants, but Nicholas, bitter from years of rejection and a horrible betrayal, could care less about what they need. He doesn’t want to be there, doesn’t want to deal with anything, let alone someone else’s problems, but Clare won’t be dissuaded. So what’s a heartless rake to do? He makes her an offer he’s certain she’ll refuse: Come live with him for 90 days, and he’ll do whatever Clare thinks is needed to make the village and the lives of its inhabitants better. And while sex isn’t part of the bargain, she has to pretend to be his Mistress and allow him one kiss per day at a time and place of his choosing.

Clare knows that to accept Nicholas’ terms will ruin her reputation, but the people need help and she has enough faith in her friends and the other villagers to believe that they’ll never scorn or judge her once she explains the situation, so, much to Nicholas’ dismay, she accepts his ruinous offer, certain that she can’t be seduced by his kisses.

There were many things that I found entertaining about this story, but I’m not going to go into details other than to say it was interesting to see what life in an English coal mine was like and to learn about the hazards of the job and the technological advances that made the mines a much safer place to work.

Overall, despite one painfully obvious and less than climatic event at the end of the story, I really enjoyed Thunder and Roses. Thank you again, Mshj, for the recommendation!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder & Roses.

02/01/2011 page 33
9.0% "Hey, interesting arrangement!"
02/03/2011 page 160
42.0% "I'm loving this story! Thank you, Secret Santa Msjh!!!"
04/03/2016 marked as: own-have-read

MashJ Ooh- have fun.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've not started yet, but I plan to in the next couple days. I just forget so easily, that if I plan to read something within the month, I add it to Currently Reading.

But, I'm really looking forward to it.

Autumn  ohh Dhes!! it sounds so promising!!! i have to check it out definitely!!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It's really good, Autumn! In the LK group, WLLK Buddy Reads folder, Bekah and I are reading this together. You should stop by and check it out.

Autumn  I have like 15 books for this challenge...but my hands aare itching to get the book. I loved arranged marriages stories..and gypsies...ahh I might get thru this book that's for sure lol.

MashJ I think actually that I picked it up because of the gypsy theme after reading some of the hathaway series.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

OHHHH! It's sooo good!! I hope you like it!!

Autumn  Mshj wrote: "I think actually that I picked it up because of the gypsy theme after reading some of the hathaway series."

cam!!!!! :D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Cam and Merri... *sigh*

Autumn  ok im sold Dhes!! book for March!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I hope you enjoy it!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Autumn wrote: "ohh Dhes!! it sounds so promising!!! i have to check it out definitely!!!!"

I ended up really enjoying this one, Autumn. There were some unique aspects to the story and I enjoyed that.

message 14: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Great review!

Swimming with penguins!? That's going to the top of my TBR mountain!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Ruth! Yep, skinny dipping with penguins! I have to say, that's a pretty unique addition to historical romance! LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Mshj wrote: "I think actually that I picked it up because of the gypsy theme after reading some of the hathaway series."

I owe you a hug for another great recommendation!

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Sounds like a great book! I hope the rest of the series is just as enjoyable!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I hope so too, Cheryl!

Autumn  omg!! i cant believe it took me A MONTH to get a hold of this book!! i now have it in my hands **yay** **makes happy dance**

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Autumn wrote: "omg!! i cant believe it took me A MONTH to get a hold of this book!! i now have it in my hands **yay** **makes happy dance**"

Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it, Autumn!!!

message 21: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss Autumn wrote: "omg!! i cant believe it took me A MONTH to get a hold of this book!! i now have it in my hands **yay** **makes happy dance**"

I've only read one of her books from this series but it was lovely.:)

message 23: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss The last one, One Perfect Rose, i loved the theme and stood on tenterhooks until the end, when the conflict was resolved, did you read it? I've always intended to start again at the beginning with the series, but i'm not a big fan of spy books, so the blurb didn't draw me in too much :).

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish No, I've only read this book so far, though I own the first few.

Lisa Kay Dhes, Another great review! :) I keep looking at this one as Lady D likes it also. Decisions, decisions...*sigh*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Lisa!! Yeah, Lady D and I have similar tastes in our HR, though I think her's is more refined than mine. If she likes it, I'd say you can almost be guaranteed a good read.

Lisa Kay Dhestiny, I just added it my GR bookswap wishlist. I'm going to play the game of "if it's meant to be." We'll see.

P.S. I sent my first book off via GR bookswap Saturday and was surprised how easy it was. Kinda like NetFlix, I just printed the label, put the book in the envelop and popped it in my mail box for the postman. The person received it Monday! Wow. Cool.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Awesome, Lisa Kay!! Congrats on joining the Swap-age!

Lisa Kay Your vernacular is great, Dhes! LOL.

Autumn  UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Autumn wrote: "omg!! i cant believe it took me A MONTH to get a hold of this book!! i now have it in my hands **yay** **makes happy dance**"

Yay! I hope you'll enjoy it, Autumn!!!"

Lisa Kay Autumn, There's seven books in that series!! OMG. I see PB&J in my future if the bookswap doesn't work.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Autumn wrote: "ohh you bet i will!! i have all the series now!! i wasnt kidding about being wiped out of of $$ ya know?? LOL "

I know, I know! I'm cleaning up series' that I've let slip by the wayside for the All Things Spring challenge, but this series won't be part of that. I've got too many that are even older to take care of.

I'm anxious to hear what you think, though!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I know y'all will love the series. Be patient though. The second book is the low point of the series (IMO) but it's really necessary for the rest of the really great books in the series. My highpoints were TAR, Shattered Rainbows, and One Perfect Rose.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks for the heads up, Nicki!!

Autumn  ***shakes hands*** i cant wait myself Dhes!!

message 36: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Nice review, UM. I liked this one as well. Do you plan to read the whole series? Angel Rogue was my favorite.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Catherine wrote: "Nice review, UM. I liked this one as well. Do you plan to read the whole series? Angel Rogue was my favorite."

Thanks Catherine!

I do plan to read them all. I went out and bought them used so I'll have them when the mood strikes me. I am a fickle reader, but I do like to keep up with the series I begin.

Have you read them all? Is the series finished?

message 38: by Catherine (new)

Catherine As far as I know, the series has been finished for years. I haven't read them all yet, no.

I haven't been able to make myself read Petals in the Storm yet. I read Angel Rogue first and didn't really like them much in it. I've read the first,third and fourth, but not the fifth, sixth or seventh. Though I mean to rectify that eventually. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Catherine!! I'll end up reading in order because I can't make myself do otherwise. LOL The thing with MJP... I enjoy her writing, but she's not a favorite and I have so many other things to read that I keep putting her stuff aside.

Before this, I had read Christmas Mischief by Mary Jo Putney and liked those stories, but they were shorts. I decided to try Thunder to see if I'd like a full length better, but I still felt some of the same things in here too.

Again, I enjoy her, but she's not a favorite.

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I read these years and years ago, back when I was a teen, reading what I could find at the used book stores or the library. I didn't care much about order at that point, just availability. The only one I've reread again and again through the years has been Angel Rogue.