Shannon's Reviews > The Knitting Circle

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

Aug 06, 14

Recommended for: Anyone in a book group; there are discussion questions.

Yes, there are a few date inaccuracies and grammatical errors that the editor should have fixed. Regardless, this novel was enthralling. I didn't realize Hood had actually lost a daughter until completion of the novel. Knitting and the circle were perfect backdrops to the protagonist Mary's bereavement. Through hearing of others' loss and recovery, Mary's able to come to terms with the sudden death of her daughter Stella. Being pregnant with a daughter, I was in tears during any shared memory of the little girl. Reading of this loss was acutely heart-wrenching. Although I'm sure to some the frequent "Mary cried" would be obnoxious, it seemed appropriate to me, especially after learning the events of the plot's inspiration. I found Mary's relationship with her husband to be of high interest; I was rooting for them from the beginning. When I finally got comfortable with the solidity of their marriage--feeling they'd be able to remain together after this tragedy--conflict ensued. Many twists were predictable, and I occasionally hoped the book would end sooner than it did. Still, it was a delightful summer read that I continue to reflect upon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knitting Circle.