Louise's Reviews > Pandora's Star

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 10, 2012

What a literal cliffhanger. And yes, I do mean literal in the sense that some characters are now dangling over a cliff.

I've heard lots of great things about this and the other book in the Commonwealth Saga, so I came into it with high expectations. It started off pretty slowly, with tons of disjointed characters, but eventually, some of them came together to contribute to the general plot. While the story itself was engaging, it took way too long to get started and there was just too much filler. It got to the point where the big reveals had less impact because I was annoyed at how long it took me to get to them.

My favorite parts were the Silfen paths even though Ozzie is one of my least favorite characters. I was also pretty annoyed by the Silfen. I'm not a fan of the mysterious, omnipotent aliens which seem like just a cheap plot device.

Not sure if I'll read the next book, even though I'm eager to know what happens. I don't think I can sit through another 1000+ pages of filler. I do want to find out if Tochee ever finds his way home though. He's my favorite.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandora's Star.

12/26/2011
8.0% "Here we go"
12/30/2011
31.0% "I think the story's finally picking up!"
12/30/2011
31.0% "I think the story's finally picking up!"
12/30/2011
40.0% "The paths remind me if Chronicles of Amber"
01/05/2012
70.0% "Paula's my favorite character so far." 3 comments
01/09/2012
90.0% "sh*t is going down!" 1 comment

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan I didn't realize you read Peter Hamilton. I read "The Dreaming Void" and liked it, but I can't handle the length of his series. Know any good stand-alones?

Brad Haney Part of what I like about his books are their length, I don't really see it as filler but world building.

Louise Yeah, I'm not sure about the length of his novels. Daniel, I first got interested in Hamilton from reading one of his short stories: If at First . . .

His ideas and technology are good, and his world-building is decent, but...so many words!